by KC Hodge and Crystal Bustamante, CAPS Student Managers
CAPS regretfully will not be open for tutoring services over the summer of 2017. We don’t want to leave you hanging on getting tutoring help for any summer courses you may be taking this year, so below is a list of tutoring resources to help you make it to the Fall 2017 semester!
1. Engineering Department: Engineering Student Services (ESS) provides tutoring for math, engineering, physics, and English courses throughout the year. Tutoring schedules are posted on their website with information on the tutor’s name, course topics, location, and days/times. For more information call (505) 277-4354 or checkout their website.
2. Math Department: In Dane Smith Hall math instructors provide students with help on topics covered in calculus (162, 163, 180, and 181), algebra (120, 121, 150), and statistics (145). Tables are usually staffed from 9am to 2pm Monday through Friday on the second and third floors by the elevator. For more information call (505) 277-4613.
3. Language Learning Center (LLC): If you are taking language classes this summer the LLC is a great place to find help online and potentially in-person. The LLC is a technology-enhanced language learning environment in Ortega Hall on UNM’s Main Campus that has resources for instructors and students enrolled in language classes at UNM, such as games and films. Although CAPS tutors won’t be at this location over the summer, the LLC provides numerous resources for students. Checkout this website for more information.
4. Assistance Centers for Education (ACE): CNM offers tutoring services and computer labs for CNM students and community members in subjects such as accounting, applied math, biology, chemistry, physics, statistics, and English. Tutoring on CNM’s Main Campus is held in SRC-203 at these hours: Monday – Thursday, 8:00 AM-8:00 PM; Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM; Saturday, 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM. Visit this page for more information.
5. Khan Academy: Although Kahn Academy is geared towards K-12 subject matter, the videos and resources on this website can help you master the basics for you summer classes. This website has videos of teachers walking through a wide range of topics in math, science and engineering, computing, arts and humanities, and economics. You can watch the videos and also post questions if you need extra help or clarification. Here is the website.
6. Coursera: If you aren’t necessarily taking courses over the summer, but you are worried about being prepared for a class in the fall, Coursera offers cheap online courses in hundreds of topics. These courses are created and led by top-ranked university professors and can cover the basics you need for other classes (such as computer programming before taking an engineering or math course) or they can cover unique, complex topics. Visit their website for more information.
7. Frog Tutoring: Several verified tutors are in the Albuquerque area that work through Frog Tutoring for one-on-one, in-person tutoring. Each tutor has a biography and explains what subjects they are able to tutor. You can receive a free consultation to be matched with the best tutor, however there are service fees. Subjects range from algebra, anatomy and physiology, calculus, computer programming, and writing. Call (505) 288-3484 for information on Albuquerque tutors or visit their website.
8. Varsity Tutoring: This online-based tutoring company provides one-on-one tutoring in math, science, foreign languages, writing and more. This company provides services in-person and online at a small fee. Visit their website for more information, or call (505) 322-6893.